Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best skimmer for the money?

Best skimmer for the money?

OK, so my stand is almost done, hopefully will be filling and cycling in next few days (125 gallon tank, about 60 gallons in sump/fuge), found a few skimmers but not sure which one to go for.......here are my choices:

Odyssea PS-160 with Odyssea 1000 GPH pump for $70 new

AE Tech Reef Devil Protein Skimmer modified to run quieter with 8 month old CA-4000 pump $150 used

Euro-Reef CS 6-1 with a pump upgrade to Sedra 5000 for $100 used

Unknown skimmer for up to 350 gallons for $100 used (I have emailed for brand/model and will post here when I find out) but here is link to it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Professional
    • shane3621's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • 75g display 29g fuge/sump
      • Type:
      • mixed
      • Equipment:
      • Reef octopus 110, mag 9.5 return vortech mp10
      • Lights:
      • Aqualight pro, dual 250w de Xm 20k Upgraded pc's to dual 54w t5 HO geisman actinics
      • Wants:
      • ATO

Credits
    Images
    Oddeyssa's are junk...stay away.....reef octopus at pats...good price for a good skimmer.
    If your only choice are the ones listed, I'd say the one with the sedra pump.

Quote Originally Posted by shane3621 View Post
    Oddeyssa's are junk...stay away.....reef octopus at pats...good price for a good skimmer.
    If your only choice are the ones listed, I'd say the one with the sedra pump.
    Thanks Shane, I have PM'd Pat so I don't know what he has yet, but these 4 I have listed are just what I have found at this time, really hoping Pat has something, I'd rather buy from him.

Skilled
    • ckranz's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • JBJ 28G Nano
      • Type:
      • mainly SPS
      • Equipment:
      • Chiller
      • Lights:
      • 150 HQI 36 W Atinics

Credits
    Here are some good skimmers for the price. I would not spare on the skimmer you will just want to upgrade down the road.
    http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers

Personally I would say a custom built one would be the best for the money but then you have to learn and understand how they work and find the parts etc etc etc. So otherwise I would agree with shane, the reef octopus seems to be the best bang for the buck from what I hear.

Apprentice

Credits
    Images
    I have a vertex 180. 120 gall with 40 gall sump. Amazing skimmer.

I wish I could custom build one, but already too many projects on this build, and I admit that I don't know the first thing about skimmers, I understand what they are and what they do but have never acutally seen one in action, it has been over 20 years since I had a saltwater tank!
    I'm PM'ing with Pat on a few, hopefully I can afford one from him, otherwise I may just have to wait a while, don't want to buy one just to have one, I'd rather use a couple smaller ones that I have until I can get what I really need!

Professional

Credits
    Images
    I have the OctoExtreme 300, and after letting it get broke it (seems like that took like 2 months) it's kicking butt.

So my vote is Octopus Skimmers unless you wanna drop $1000+ on a BK or something.

Professional
    • milkman's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • System 1 - 120 gal display, 45 gal frag, 40 gal ja
      • Equipment:
      • Octo SRO 3000, Octo Extreme 200, (2) MP40w, Apex Controller
      • Lights:
      • 8x TEK T5, 250w Icecap MH

Credits
    Images
    The Octo Extreme 200 should work for that setup. They should be about $285. If you can spend a little more, buy the Octo SRO2000 with the Bubble Blaster pump over the Sicce that comes on the Extreme. The SRO should be about $350.

I have the Octo Extreme 200 and just ordered the Red Demon Pinwheel to upgrade. If I was starting over today, I would get the SRO with the Bubble Blaster. I may still do that if the Red Demon wheel does not futher improve performance.

Make sure you check your clearance in your stand for whatever you pick. Need to know how deep it needs to be in the sump to accurately calculate your clearance.

Professional
    • shane3621's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • 75g display 29g fuge/sump
      • Type:
      • mixed
      • Equipment:
      • Reef octopus 110, mag 9.5 return vortech mp10
      • Lights:
      • Aqualight pro, dual 250w de Xm 20k Upgraded pc's to dual 54w t5 HO geisman actinics
      • Wants:
      • ATO

Credits
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    The Octo Extreme 200 should work for that setup. They should be about $285. If you can spend a little more, buy the Octo SRO2000 with the Bubble Blaster pump over the Sicce that comes on the Extreme. The SRO should be about $350.

I have the Octo Extreme 200 and just ordered the Red Demon Pinwheel to upgrade. If I was starting over today, I would get the SRO with the Bubble Blaster. I may still do that if the Red Demon wheel does not futher improve performance.

Make sure you check your clearance in your stand for whatever you pick. Need to know how deep it needs to be in the sump to accurately calculate your clearance.
    those red demon wheel is SICK!!!! you will love it!

Thread Information