• 55 gallo
      • Lights:
      • crappy :)
      • Wants:
      • Lighting and Protien skimmer

Images

Cloram-x

Annnnnd Discuss.....

good or bad to use? I was just reading another forum and someone was talking about using this while raising baby seahorses...I had never heard of something like this....is it bad to use in your tank?

Chloram-X is the active ingredient in Amquel Plus. It is perfectly fine to use, and it doesn't affect the pH as much as other ammonia binders either. I think, IIRC, people used to get it in bulk and pass it around to each other. Don't know if some people still do, or even where you'd get it, but on a small scale, Amquel Plus is fine and not overly expensive.

However, it is arguably easier/better to raise seahorses with the use of frequent water changes and/or the use of cycled filters; instead of employing the regular use of ammonia binders. Keep an eye on the date posted for any advice. Seahorse , keeping is just getting out of it's infancy and is still progressing a lot. A lot of times things are done completely different now than they were 3 or 4 years ago. I personally would follow DanU's advice on raising seahorses. He has some articles in the library on the org, too.
    Last edited by ann83; 10-06-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Skilled
    • Amber8's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • 55 gallo
      • Lights:
      • Wants:

Images
    Alrighty! Thanks Ann!! I probably should have just sent you a private message and asked you that I received my live rock yesterday FINALLY so I put it in...I couldn't resist getting a few more zoa frags but I am also hoping the new rock doesn't cause a cycle and kill them water change coming tomorrow!!

Besides that I am starting to feed the tank like you told me....and just trying to get everything ready for the seahorses....I should totally be posting this on .org I am sure lol but I remember you told me to get Fuscus because they will live in my "small" tank ok....I tried to do alot of research on them but I am having ALOT of trouble finding much info about them. I was hoping to find info about keeping them and about what to do when they have babies....Ok well back to reading

H. fuscus didn't used to be commonly available in the United States. They were mostly available in Europe (their natural range). A year or two back, ORA was advertising "H. breviceps" on their web site as being a tropical seahorse (which is incorrect). A few of us realized that the H. breviceps that were turning up in the LFS from ORA were not in fact H. breviceps and started trying to I.D. them. Turns out, ORA just had some unidentified seahorses in their facility from a previous employee's order, and had I.D.'ed them as H. breviceps but didn't have the original paperwork on them. Someone (I think it was Lisa Darmo) figured out they were H. fuscus, someone told ORA, and ta'da, H. fuscus in the United States. So, that's why there isn't a lot of info on them.

They are smaller than the other "larger species" seahorses, but their care is still very similar to the other larger species. They should eat frozen mysis, preferably twice a day, supplemented with live foods once or twice a week like adult brine shrimp gutloaded with vitamins and antioxidants. Temperatures should be 71-74*, preferably with the ability to drop the temperature to 68* if there are signs of bacterial infection. At first, they were thought to be more shy/less active, and less colorful. Recently, it appears they can be very colorful and active, and like other species, it really all depends on their environment (lots of hitches, flow split up so it isn't blowing them around, no fast moving or territorial tankmates, etc.).

As for fry, their fry should be similar to raise to that of H. barbouri and H. erectus. Scott Weinrich has compared the ease of raising their fry to that of raising H. zosterae. On the seahorse scale, they are easier to raise. Any of the advice on raising H. erectus should help.

If you want more info than you can find on the internet on H. fuscus (you did do a search on the org for "fuscus, right? ), I would pick up the phone and call Seahorse Source, or send them an email. They are very very willing to help, and do, obviously, have experience with H. fuscus.

Also, it sounds like there may be a shortage of H. fuscus for a couple of months (the guy who has bred/raised most of them is moving), so when you call/email Seahorse Source, you might want to ask about that.
    Last edited by ann83; 10-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Skilled
    • Amber8's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • 55 gallo
      • Lights:
      • Wants:

Images
    Of course I did a search for Fuscus on .org (or atleast I will in the next 5 mins ) lol I just want to be totally prepared. so I dont end up killing them.

I looked at seahorse source the other day and I thought they said they had some ready BUT the thing is I am figuring on at the very least another month before I am ready to order them. I forsure dont want to rush it. I need to figure out the Brine shrimp thing as well. Like wehre do I get them?

Thank you so much for the info...as always you are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Amber8 View Post
    I need to figure out the Brine shrimp thing as well. Like wehre do I get them?
    I need to figure it out, too.

I've looked around, and it doesn't seem like any LFS in the area carry them, although I haven't check all the little bitty places and chain places. You can order them online from liveaquaria or BSD, or you can grow them out yourself (which is a pain unless you're hatching everyday for fry anyway). My seahorses don't get gutloaded ABS regularly at all, but they do get other live goodies like peppermint larvae, amphipods, isopods, etc. Some of the LFS in the area carry freshwater ghost shrimp, too, which are good to gutload and feed out occasionally also (with the added benefit that they can't pass on parasites b/c they're freshwater).

Skilled
    • Amber8's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • 55 gallo
      • Lights:
      • Wants:

Images
    Ok really dumb question but are amphipods and isopods things I need to put into my tank or are they the litlte bug like things i see crawling around? and if not do I just get those at a LFS?

Also i forgot if I told you but I did pick up a couple peppermint shrimp this weekend. One is much bigger than the other and I am hoping they live for me BUT do I need to do anything special to raise their larvae?

Amphipods and isopods should show up naturally in your tank.

You don't need to raise the peppermint shrimp larvae. They can be eaten by the seahorses on day 1. Don't even need to remove them from the tank. If you want to raise them, I don't know how There's a book called "How to raise and train your peppermint shrimp" or something like that, that covers raising shrimp larvae.

Skilled
    • Amber8's Tank Stats
      • Tank Size:
      • 55 gallo
      • Lights:
      • Wants:

Images
    Ok well I dont really want to raise them or anything I just wanted to make sure the seahorses could eat them lol The bad thing is I have nothing in there right now that will eat them if they did have some...but I am going to doubt they would make it....

I also have the snails you suggest and a few macros coming my way !! I am getting so excited!

Thread Information